Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Thank You

Rabbi Avi Shafran
I am humbled. I have a received a lot of support since I was attacked (along with Rabbi Gil Student) in last week’s Yated. Support has come from all segments of Orthodoxy. Some of it from the right. Some of it from the left.  Some of it from in-between. I am truly grateful for all of it.

I would especially like to thank Rabbi Avi Shafran for his piece on Cross Currents. He has written a very strong defense of both Gil and me.

I am a long time admirer of Rabbi Shafran. He is a talented writer and an articulate spokesman for Agudah.  Although I am not Charedi and sometimes disagree with him - most of the time I do agree with him. As I often say, what unites us – fealty to the precepts of theTorah - is far greater than what divides us.

I would just add that I think that the venomous comments I sometimes see expressed on other blogs towards him by those who disagree is – well – disgusting!  …and unbecoming of anyone who claims to be an adherent of the Torah.  

Disagreement need not be disagreeable. Rabbi Shafran is a principled human being and he is entitled to his views. Which are all thought out and expressed rationally,  calmly… and yes - quite brilliantly most of the time. I wish his critics would learn to do the same. It would make for a much more enlightened discourse and truer expression of the pleasant ways of the Torah.

One again my hat is off to R’ Avi and all those who have come to Gil’s defense – and to my own. Thank you.